Synth: Week of 10.12.20

  • Mission — What are you trying to change in the world
  • Members — Who are you writing for? What do they need?
  • Medium — What is the ideal platform?
  • Metrics — Not everything that counts can be counted.
  • Messaging — The way you talk about your community is never neutral, so choose your messaging wisely, and experiment.
  • Inattention, distraction, lack of interest, poor preparation, genuine stupidity, timidity, braggadocio, emotional imbalance, ideological, racial, social or chauvinistic prejudices, and aggressive or prevaricatory instincts.
  • when faced with any kind of recurring task or process, there is usually some way to set up a system to handle it for you.
  • The systems mindset is simply looking for these opportunities in your life to temporarily over-invest in a problem in order to free up more long term resources.
  • “code isn’t scarce; it’s the making part that’s scarce. Code is simply a byproduct; the makers and maintainers are what’s valuable.” — Alex Danco
  • Impatience with action, Patience with results.” — Shaan at All Access Fund
  • “To improve our ability to look at unintended consequences we should consider the system rather than just the perceived outcomes.” — Paul Orlando
  • “A strong community is one of the only remaining moats.” — Ethan Brooks
  • “The only kind of writing is rewriting.” — Ernest Hemingway
  • “It’s hard to know what you’ll consider doing until someone dangles a huge reward in your face, and underestimating how adjustable the boundaries can become when rewards rise is a leading cause of terrible decisions.” — Morgan Housel
  • “The problem with low-probability tail risks is that they’re so rare you can get away with ignoring them 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time they change your life.” -Morgan Housel
  • “Bad decisions happen when there’s only one acceptable version of the future.” — Morgan Housel
  • “most people don’t (and can’t) know exactly what caused their own successes and failures.” — Morgan Housel
  • “The smarter you are, the better you are at constructing a narrative that supports your beliefs” — Annie Duke
  • “Subtle is the Lord, but malicious He is not.” — Einstein
  • “In a complex world, intelligence consists in ignoring things that are irrelevant.” — Nassim Taleb
  • “Kindness is loaning someone your strength rather than reminding them of their weakness.” — Andy Stanley

--

--

--

Love podcasts or audiobooks? Learn on the go with our new app.

Recommended from Medium

Plank Year in Review 2018

The shifting boundaries of professional relationships

Terminating an Employee on Workers’ Compensation Leave: Precautions and Protocols To Keep In Mind

New Pinnacle Mini-Events Coming This Summer

The Joys and Pitfalls of Digital Nomadism

(Loosely) Control the Room

Tips On Time Management For At House Employees

How authentic attention makes you instantly more likable

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Matt Knight

Matt Knight

More from Medium

2022 — A Year and a Half Working in Planning Agency, My Personal Career Journal and Takeaways…

Down Syndrome, education & inclusion — our journey so far.

Today, I’m deciding that I’m done shrinking.

Media and Role Models: Factors in the Evolution of 21st-century Idols